So the other day Firefox updated, and along with it, Minion updated. Minion is a cool little Firefox add-in that can control your MPD music server like a jukebox.
Anyways, sitting on the recovery sofa, I go to play music, and Minion doesn't work.
After various reinstalls and crap, I start to consider I need a newer MPD (music player daemon which runs as a service on my linux server).
Now installing software is often like child birth. Once, it's over you forget the pain, and just enjoy. So if the last version of mpd was this flippen hard to get going, I can't remember it. So I'm 5 hours into it, when finally FINALLY I get music again. *sigh*
So if you ever find yourself trying to compile MPD and it's tripping up on libmad, the trick is pkg-config needs a file created in /usr/lib/pkgconfig. You wouldn't believe the esoteric methods on the web for just creating this stupid little file.
It's mad.pc and here's the contents.
prefix=/usr/local
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include
Name: mad
Description: MPEG audio decoder
Requires:
Version: 0.15.1b
Libs: -L${libdir} -lmad
Cflags: -I${includedir}
That's it. Check your paths and version, but that's all there is to it. Maybe it'll save someone 5 hours of hell.
Anyways, sitting on the recovery sofa, I go to play music, and Minion doesn't work.
After various reinstalls and crap, I start to consider I need a newer MPD (music player daemon which runs as a service on my linux server).
Now installing software is often like child birth. Once, it's over you forget the pain, and just enjoy. So if the last version of mpd was this flippen hard to get going, I can't remember it. So I'm 5 hours into it, when finally FINALLY I get music again. *sigh*
So if you ever find yourself trying to compile MPD and it's tripping up on libmad, the trick is pkg-config needs a file created in /usr/lib/pkgconfig. You wouldn't believe the esoteric methods on the web for just creating this stupid little file.
It's mad.pc and here's the contents.
prefix=/usr/local
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include
Name: mad
Description: MPEG audio decoder
Requires:
Version: 0.15.1b
Libs: -L${libdir} -lmad
Cflags: -I${includedir}
That's it. Check your paths and version, but that's all there is to it. Maybe it'll save someone 5 hours of hell.
