Time for a raging ejection of mental effluvia regarding my iBike power meter. .

Deb got me an iBike Sport power meter earlier this year. Now let me first say that the science behind this thing is sound, and once it's calibrated, it works quite well. It has lots and lots of clever programming in the background that works really hard at keeping your data accurate, or at least consistent which is the most important thing.

But........

My First one:
I ripped open the bubble pack and started checking the device over. As I turned it over in my hands, I noticed an internal rattle. Hmmm.
So I wrote the company, should this thing rattle?
"No, send it back and we'll replace it" they said.

So, back into the original packaging it went. I never opened the rest of the parts or mounted it on the bike or anything, and just sent it directly back to the company. Now mind you this was purchased directly from the company that makes it.

My Second One:
In short order a package arrives, I open it, and here is my previously opened package, with a power meter stuck back in it. Let me summarize this here: I (actually Deb) purchased a NEW power meter. That's what was paid for: a NEW power meter. And what we got was a REFURBISHED power meter.

I don't care if they "repaired" mine, or shipped me someone else's, it's not what I agreed to purchase. I fully expected a new, sealed, unopened, and functional device. I think this was refurb'd because the plastic window on the top isn't exactly square, looks like maybe it's been removed, and then resealed or replaced.

But I want this thing to work, so I go ahead and set it up and mount it on the bike. It works fairly well for six months (Feb-Aug).

So I'm out training in Clermont and get caught in a raging torrent of a storm. I have read up on the iBike and though they claim it's water-proof (resistant or whatever the terminology is today), I've also read plenty of people saying they got water inside and it messes with calibration etc.... So I put my iBike into a baggy for protection, then into my back pocket.

Later when I got home and dry, I put it back onto my bike. On my next ride, I noticed there was dew on the inside of the window. It seemed to work OK otherwise. Next day I went to ride it and the battery was dead. New battery, rode and the moisture was gone that day. Next day, dead battery. Put in a new battery, checked in the next morning, dead battery.

It used to take 30 or 40 days to kill a battery, and now it kills one in mere hours. I asked in the iBike forums if there was something I could do, and they said "Send it to us and we'll fix it". Well, that's nice service, but I wish it weren't so fragile. Perhaps ripping it apart to get the rattle out compromised the integrity of the case. Or maybe it's just susceptible to rain and every time I get caught in the rain I'll be sending it in for repair. I don't know. Not happy at this point.

Third iBike:
So I sent it in, and a week or so later, I get a package back. The device looks brand spanking new, though it's only wrapped in packing paper. I put the wireless mount on my bike, and I got up this morning thinking I'd take today to go through and do a proper setup and calibration ride and so on, and just generally give it a good run down, along with some other bike maintenance I needed to do. Wipe the bike down, oil the chain, change out my cassette, adjust the shifters for cable stretch, try and clean the handlebar tape and so on.

So I start the calibration process. One of the first things you need to do is link to your speed, cadence and HR sensors, and.....
SPD [Sensor] Fail.

Hmmm. This usually indicates a dead speed sensor battery.
Changed, the battery.
SPD [Sensor] Fail.

Garmin speed sensors fail all the time, so I get one off my other bike.
SPD [Sensor] Fail.

Freak chance the battery is dead? Install another new battery (yes I have a 25 pack on hand).
SPD [Sensor] Fail.

Reset iBike (reverse the battery).
SPD [Sensor] Fail.
Well, maybe it's the wireless mount. New battery for the mount.
SPD [Sensor] Fail.

Reverse the battery in the mount to reset it.
SPD [Sensor] Fail.

WTF? I fetch my Garmin, and yes the Speed/Cadence syncs up just fine. I hit 50 rpm, and 5mph on the maintenance stand. Everything works. Try again.
SPD [Sensor] Fail.

M*&^%&#$%^* F'%^& G*&^%$ D%^&**&^ S#$ O$ A M$%^&* F*&^%$ B$%^&*#$%^ POS!!!!!

If this thing wasn't so expensive, I'd have shattered it on the garage floor.

So I've posted in the iBike forums, asking for help. Undoubtedly, I'll send this in and get a FOURTH yes a FOURTH unit. That's a record for me. I've almost never had to get a second "anything" much less a third, forget a FOURTH.

So unless you like paying for endless rounds of shipping and a good hour mounting, and calibrating it each time and dealing with a device that can't get damp, I'd be reluctant to recommend this thing to anyone.

But let me be clear: I do believe the science, the programming and the whole concept behind the device is good. And while they send you a replacement unit very quickly, it should not have to happen in the first place. I highly suspect that this 3rd device I currently have is the wrong version without the Garmin Ant+ firmware. Despite the fact that I clearly splattered "Garmin Ant+" all over my repair letter, AND I'm in their sales database as recently purchasing an Ant+ enabled device.

Fourth Unit:
Stay Tuned.


Popular Posts